You and your baby are both traversing a new world. Becoming a new mom is always amazing and full of surprises, but it can also be very intimidating. After all, babies don't come with instruction manuals! (No matter how much we wish they did.) However, being a new mom doesn't mean you can approach motherhood like a pro. Here are some tips we gathered from moms across the globe to help you take that first step into motherhood.
1. Live in the present. Stop worrying about your chore list— laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping—and be present with your baby. Enjoy your precious moments together.
2. Understand toddler meals. Expect strange food habits and offer a variety of different meal options. Don’t get frustrated. Your baby will eat when they’re hungry.
3. Get Sleep. Newborns sleep an average of 14 to 16 hours a day. Avoid feeling like a zombie following that age-old advice: Nap when baby naps — and start immediately after you put baby down.
4. Find a helper crew. Identify the people who would drop anything to be there for you and your family (and vice versa). Love them hard and thank them often.
5. Go Slow. Most doctors will recommend holding off on intercourse until after your first postpartum checkup (four to six weeks after delivery). But don't be surprised if you want to wait longer.